Danah,

To my knowledge, the very best reference on social networks of youth is from France. Claire Bidard, a researcher from the CNRS, has been conducting a longitudinal survey on youth networks since 1995, collecting data every 3 years (1995, 1998, 2001, 2004). She and research her team are interested in the relation between the evolution of youth networks and their social integration in various areas of their lives (school, work, employment, union formation, family, leisure, living arrangements). Her website:
http://www.univ-aix.fr/lest/sesmembres/cvchercheurs/cvbidart.html

A summary of her findings was presented in Montreal (Canada)last year at a conference workshop on social networks:
http://www.acfas.ca/congres/congres72/C2231.htm

An interesting methodological article on this project is:
Bidart C. & al., (2002); "Processus d'entrée dans la vie adulte, insertion professionnelle et évolution des réseaux sociaux. Note méthodologique sur les trois premières vagues d'enquête", CNRS/ Université de Caen.

In Quebec (Canada), two other researchers are also doing very interesting work on youth networks and perseverance in high school for youth at risk:
Charbonneau J. & S. Bourdon. Research project: « Famille, réseaux et persévérance des élèves à risque au collégial » Mrs. Charbonneau can be contacted at: [log in to unmask]

Also, this recent research brief appeared in the Government of Canada's Health Policy Research Bulletin on Children's Social Networks and Health:

"Using the National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth, 1998- 1999, the Data Development and Dissemination Division of Health Canada conducted a statistical analysis of children's social networks and their relationship with health. The research analyzes the social support networks of children, their parents and peers, and shows how they relate to their health behaviours. Current findings show a significant relationship between social support and children's health."
For more information on this research you can contact:chris_ oster@ hc-sc.gc.ca

I hope this will help,

______________________________________
Sandra Franke
Policy Research Initiative, Office of the Privy Council
Government of Canada
56 Sparks 1st floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5A9
613.995.4821 Fax: 613.947.3809
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web Site: <http://www.policyresearch.gc.ca>

CONSULT OUR RECENT PUBLICATIONS ON SOCIAL CAPITAL AS A POLICY TOOL AT:
http://policyresearch.gc.ca/page.asp?pagenm=rp_sc_final2#sc4