There is some relevant material re the "battle in Seattle" in this
Arquilla & Ronfeldt paper.

        http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1382/MR1382.ch1.pdf

From what I understand, some of the same tactics are being employed in
France.

Steve

Steven R. (Steve) Corman
Professor, Hugh Downs School of Human Communication
Arizona State University
http://www.public.asu.edu/~corman

Chair, Organizational Communication Division
International Communication Association
http://www.icahdq.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Maksim Tsvetovat
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 7:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] Networks of riots?

Well, there seems to be an actual network in action, more then just
contagion by proximity.
The groups are distributed over fairly wide area and are at least
physically decentralized. They communicate using cell phones, SMS
messages and the Internet; while this may be simple coordination
between peers, it is also possible that there is an implicit or
explicit hierarchy in action.
Depending on whether the government wiretaps the rioters' phones, or
otherwise obtains information on the communication patterns, we may
never know.