On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 14:50:19 -0000, Maksim Tsvetovat
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Well, there seems to be an actual network in action, more then just
> contagion by proximity.
> The groups are distributed over fairly wide area and are at least
> physically decentralized. They communicate using cell phones, SMS
> messages and the Internet; while this may be simple coordination
> between peers, it is also possible that there is an implicit or
> explicit hierarchy in action.
> Depending on whether the government wiretaps the rioters' phones, or
> otherwise obtains information on the communication patterns, we may
> never know.
I can't remember the reference but a study of the Wobblies and the
civil-rights movement described a requirement for 5 or more urban centres
to go off on an issue to hit the national agenda. If I remember correctly,
the universal and publicised character of the issue was more important
than direct agitational contacts.

The behaviours you ascribe to a hypethesised "actual network" may either
not occur or be of little or no significance.

I don't know whether the research on TV copycatting shows but copycatting
would obviate the need for conspiracy.
(see history of the irish republican army cell structure and compare this
with current widespread islamic claims that neither al quaida nor al
zarquarwi exist (except we've seen him on the TV) and the belated
recognition by the atteligence services that no direct contact is needed
when there is a guiding vision (the arab street).

Jim

Jim Stuttard