Dear Emilie,

I believe LinkedIn is such an example. It started as a unique virtual community but now there are several topical/geographical sub-groups (mostly Yahoo groups) such as LinkedIn power forum, LinkedIn Innovators, LinkedIn groups in various areas of the world. Check: http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=linkedin for some information.

Another one that I am aware of is the Harvard Startup list which branched out into the West Coast (Bay area I believe): http://www.harvard-startups.org/.

Hope this helps!

Best
-- Pascal
Pascal Marmier
Advisor, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
SHARE Boston, Consulate of Switzerland
420 Broadway
Cambridge, MA 02138
Ph: (617) 876-3076 ext. 13