If you plan to attend, please contact me ahead of time so I can arrange a
door pass.
Douglas Gordin, PhD
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
19 Skyline Drive
Hawthorne, NY  10532
Voice: 914.784.7806

As We May Work:
Advancing Social Technologies for the Distributed Enterprise
November 18th, 2005, 8:45 AM – 5:45 PM

Event:         Second Annual TJ Watson Research HCI Symposium
Location:      IBM TJ Watson Research Lab,
19 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY.  Room: GN-F15
Directions:    http://www.watson.ibm.com/general_info_haw.html
|----------+-------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Time     | Topic and Speakers                        |URL                                                                      |
|----------+-------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 8 :45 —9 |Welcome & Introductions,                   |http://www.research.ibm.com/SocialComputing/CatalinaDanis.htm            |
| :00      |Douglas Gordin & Catalina Danis, Symposium |                                                                         |
|          |Organizers                                 |                                                                         |
|----------+-------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 9 :00 —10|Challenges and opportunities in distributed|                                                                         |
| :15      |enterprise work                            |http://www.stanford.edu/group/WTO/people/core/hinds.shtml                |
|          |Pam Hinds, Center for Work Technology and  |                                                                         |
|          |Innovation, Stanford University            |                                                                         |
|----------+-------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 10:15 –  |Innovative social software for enterprises,|http://domino.research.ibm.com/cambridge/research.nsf/pages/cue.html?Open|
| 10:45    |David Millen, IBM Research                 |                                                                         |
|----------+-------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 11:00 –  |Session 1: Distributed Work                |                                                                         |
| 12:30    |A. Work role enactment on distributed teams|http://www.stanford.edu/group/WTO/people/students/siino.shtml            |
|          |.                                          |                                                                         |
|          |    Rosanne M. Siino, Stanford University  |http://www.crew.umich.edu/people/shami.html                              |
|          |B. Facilitating sharing of unique          |                                                                         |
|          |information in distributed teams.          |http://home.uchicago.edu/~kertcher/                                      |
|          |N. Sadat Shimi, Cornell University         |                                                                         |
|          |C. A social infrastructure for trust in    |                                                                         |
|          |electronic collaboration.                  |                                                                         |
|          |Zack Kertcher, University of Chicago       |                                                                         |
|          |D. Discussant: Wendy Kellogg, IBM Research |                                                                         |
|----------+-------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 1:45 –   |Session 2: Social Visualizations           |                                                                         |
| 2:45     |A. Visual Exploration of Computer-Mediated |http://jheer.org/                                                        |
|          |Social Activity.                           |                                                                         |
|          |Jeffrey Heer, University of                |                                                                         |
|          |California-Berkeley                        |                                                                         |
|          |B. Collabographics: Graphical              |                                                                         |
|          |representations of knowledge, shared       |                                                                         |
|          |activity and context in online enterprise  |http://www.research.ibm.com/SocialComputing/TomErickson.htm              |
|          |information spaces.                        |                                                                         |
|          |Alex Ivanov, Simon Frasier University      |                                                                         |
|          |C. Discussant: Thomas Erickson, IBM        |                                                                         |
|          |Research                                   |                                                                         |
|----------+-------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 2:45 –   |Collaborative innovation: Blogs, jams and  |                                                                         |
| 3:45     |social networking at IBM.                  |                                                                         |
|          |Michael Wing, Vice President, Strategic    |                                                                         |
|          |Communications, IBM                        |                                                                         |
|----------+-------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| 4:00 –   |Session 3: Learning Communities            |                                                                         |
| 5:30     |A. Designing the CiteSeer collaboratory to |http://www.umerfarooq.net                                                |
|          |support distributed scientific communities.|                                                                         |
|          |Umer Farooq, Pennsylvania State University |                                                                         |
|          |B. Sustaining and bridging sense-making and|                                                                         |
|          |collaborative learning across multiple     |                                                                         |
|          |interaction spaces.                        |                                                                         |
|          |Johann W. Sarmiento, Drexel University     |                                                                         |
|          |C. Just because students are talking more, |                                                                         |
|          |are they having a better conversation?     |http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~jhudson/                                       |
|          |James M. Hudson, Georgia Tech              |                                                                         |
|          |D. Discussant: TBD                         |                                                                         |