Here is an interesting result, from HP group :

Tyler, J. R., Wilkinson, D. M., Huberman, B. A. (2003).  Email as
Spectroscopy: Automated Discovery of Community Structure within
Organizations.  Communities and Technologies, pp. 81-96.

Abstract: We describe a methodology for the automatic identification
of communities of practice from email logs within an organization. We
use a betweeness centrality algorithm that can rapidly find
communities within a graph representing information flows. We apply
this algorithm to an email corpus of nearly one million messages
collected over a two-month span, and show that the method is
effective at identifying true communities, both formal and informal,
within these scale-free graphs. This approach also enables the
identification of leadership roles within the communities. These
studies are complemented by a qualitative evaluation of the results
in the field.
http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/idl/papers/email/email.pdf

Emilie