Hi SOCNETTERs-

I have been chewing on the idea that in a given intra-organizational
network the process of knowledge creation is going to be enabled or
constrained by the number of distinct, non-overlapping sub groups.  Also,
that rather than totally unconnected fragments, what is key is that these
groups are connected by to each other.

One way to capture this idea, I thought, would be to look at the number of
non-overlapping subgroups of strong relations in an advice-seeking
relationship.  But what is the mechanism of linking?  Options include
brokers in a different network of strong relationships, brokers in a
different network of weak relationships, or brokers in the same network,
but using weak relationships. So, if you are a subgroup with a broker, you
are more connected (and more likely to spread your knowledge) than one
without.  A related question than becomes who "counts" as a broker?  Is
there some good cut-off value?  Or maybe use the five individuals with the
highest brokerage score?

So, three questions (and thank you paid forward)-
1) Is this similar to some work out there already?
2) Does the clustering coefficient already capture what I am describing as
connected subgroups?
3) Does one of the options above sound better to you? (Advice subgroups
with brokers in communication, Advice subgroups with brokers in weak
communication, or advice subgroups with brokers in weak advice relations)?

Thanks to all-
Jordi

Jordi Comas
Visiting Assistant Professor
Management
Bucknell University
570 577-3161

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/jcomas

"There is nothing so practical as a good theory."  Kurt Lewin