Our founding mother, Elizabeth Bott Spillius, has an article in _The
Sociological Review_ 2005 (current issue: vol 53, 4).
"Anthropology and Psychoanalysis: A Personal Concordance."
It's part of a festschrift for Ronald Frankenberg.

"I started to become an anthroplogist when I was 18, living in Toronto,
Canada, when my then boyfriend, Erving Goffman, got me to read Emile
Durkheim." p. 658.

"'Go away and write a novel', said Max Gluckman when I presented my early
findings [about networks and family structure in London] at a seminar at
Manchester." p. 661

"Eventually after much painstaking work and sitting hopelessly looking at
the data and knowing there should [be] a way of understanding it, an idea
floated into my head from nowhere. I had that Archimdes feeling. I
remember silently saying ... `I don't know whoyou are or how you thought
of that, but thank you very much.'... A particular thrill was that an
anthropological colleague (Barnes, 1954) had thought of a very similar
idea when analysing a very different social situation, a Norwegian fishing
village.... [This became] _Family and Social Network_ (1957)." [Details
follow on the ideas of the book, which should be familar to all list
members.] (p. 662)

"[The book] was finally published in 1957, but to be honest I was already
changing direction. I was fratified that the bookhad such a large impact,
and that network approaches were taken up both in Britain and abroad.
However, even though I did write a long afterword about network methods to
the 2nd edition, published in 1971, I only did this so tht I could claim
copyright on the book, since the Tavistock had copyright on the first
edition. I employed a researcher to do much of the ground work for this
afterword, and found it really quite painful to write. My interests had
shifted ... [to] psychoanalysis." (p. 663).

"When I returned from Tonga, ... I thouht I would be expected to continue
working on families, which I did not want to do, and that network research
would probably take a new form that I would not enjoy. (I think I was
proved right when I read some of the more quantitative studies which began
to emerge.)" p. 663.

"I have tried to show that although I did not do new anthropological
fieldwork after the 1950s, I did not desert anthropologists. Those ideas
and exciements have cloured the way I subsequently practiced
psychoanalysis." p.670

 Barry