Daniela
There is little advantage in importing ego-centric data into UCINET or
Pajek since the networks will consist of isolated stars.
I suggest you use a standard statistical package (SAS, STATA, SPSS) and
analyze your data by calculating compositional and variance measures on
one-step neighborhood of the surveyed scientists.  You can also convert
the data to a dyadic dataset and analyze the relations also in the
statistical package. For a good example see:

Marsden, P. V. (1987). Core discussion networks of Americans. American
Sociological Review, 52, 122-131.

- Tom

Daniele Mascia wrote:

>Dear Socnetters,
>we are conducing an analysis centered on the ego-networks of scientists working in several international scientific institutions. Our idea is that of investigating structural characteristics of the one-step neighborhood of the surveyed scientists.
>To date, we have found a few articles explaining concepts and charateristics related to the ego-network, but we are still in search of materials about the methodology to be used to deal with ego-network data. In particular, given a set of ego-networks collected in spreadshit editors, we would like to know which format is reccomended for importing such data in one of the available software for network analysis (e.g. UCINET, Pajek...), and how to conduce relative analyses.
>
>Thanks in advance for any comments.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Daniele Mascia
>Catholic University - Rome

To learn more about my evaluation book go to:
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html
My personal webpage:
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/
---