Balazs,

First you have to ask what cohesion means in dynamic data. Your
formulation "common history of cohesion" would probably lead most of us
to simply sum instances of dyadic contact (I take your data to be in
some way episodic) to create a time-collapsed snapshot, on which
standard subgroup analyses can be performed. The interesting
complication is that a group can be "actually" cohesive and yet not act
that way over shorter or longer periods, if you permit a distinction
between latent or propensity ties and enacted ties and recognize that
the latter are subject to constraints such as those considered in

Gibson, David R. 2005. "Concurrency and Commitment: Network Scheduling
and its Consequences for Diffusion." Journal of Mathematical Sociology
29:295-323

David

Balazs Vedres wrote:

> Dear Socnetters,
>
> I wonder if anyone had experience with identifying cohesive groups in
> dynamic network data.
> How would you identify a group as a common history of cohesion rather than a
> cohesive subset in a network snapshot?
>
> Any comments are appreciated,
>
> Best
> Balazs