Valdis, my dissertation (on implementation networks in public policy) is
partly based on the assumption that Telephone dynamics are omnipresent,
but I'd be very interested to see if anyone had empirically established
whether there are "breakpoints," or participation levels after which
information loss dramatically increases.

On a different aspect of communication-at-a-distance, I also use
content analyses to check for the presence of "social distance" factors
in mass media (e.g., newspapers, journals) throughout the global forest
products markets. Turns out, physical distance and language have strong
to moderate effects (i.e., informational loss), while "epistemic
framing" (e.g., language of professional communities) has very little.

Regards,

Ken Cousins
Harrison Program on the Future Global Agenda
Department of Government and Politics
3114 P Tydings Hall
University of Maryland, College Park
T: (301) 405-6862
F:  (301) 314-9690

www.bsos.umd.edu/gvpt/kcousins
http://augmentation.blogspot.com

"The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
       Albert Einstein

From:    Valdis Krebs <[log in to unmask]>

It also shows how info starts to distort, the longer the path from the
origin... I never talked to the reporter [who claimed I must have been
shouting at my computer]... some people sitting near to me on the flight
slept through the whole thing, while others had a conversation and did
not pay attention to me... the old "Telephone Game" is alive and well in
today's media!

BTW, who is doing research in the area of the "Telephone Game"[
information distorts as it goes link to link]?