Valdis, I've just today also run across a few articles that mention
"Chinese whispers" (the British name of the same game). It seems the
concept also plays an important role in a concept known as "serial
reproduction," which was used by Bartlett (1932) to describe the effects
of culture on communication. According to Lyons and Kashima (2003), it's
also been used to understand rumors (Allport and Postman, 1947), the
formation of stereotypes (Thompson et al., 2000), and "first
impressions" (Gilovich, 1987). According to Kashima, there doesn't
appear to be any laboratory research to estimate the magnitude of such
effects; though the concept is usually described in structural terms, I
haven't seen any work that explicitly documents the effects of
sequential complexity.

Let me know if you'd like a bibliography of what I uncovered. Again,
most of it is fairly thin.

>>> Valdis Krebs <[log in to unmask]> 12/6/2005 12:04:51 AM >>>
Yes, my exact interest also!