ANNOUNCEMENT

Date:		October 16, 2006

From:		Telisha S. Martin, MHSE
		Department of Sociology

To:		All UF Graduate Faculty, Staff and Students

Re:		The 2nd Annual Conference of the Social Sciences

The Society for the Social Sciences at UF and the Department of Sociology
would like to invite all faculty, staff and students to attend the 2nd
annual Conference of the Social Sciences.  This one-day research conference
will feature concurrent sessions consisting of graduate student research
presentations from departments and colleges across the campus.  They include
students in Sociology, Public Health, Family Youth and Community Sciences,
Journalism, School of Teaching and Learning as well as Health Education and
Behavior.

This would be a great opportunity for both undergraduates and graduate
students aspiring to present at a professional conference to develop their
research interests and to get a feel for the general nature of conference
presentations.  We hope you all will join us for this event.

The conference will be held this SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2006 from 8:30am to
4:30pm in ANDERSON HALL, ROOM 34.  We will also feature a non-governmental
organization (NGO) fair and poster session from 1:00 – 1:45pm.  General
topic areas and times are listed below.  If there are any questions, please
feel free to contact Telisha Martin [log in to unmask] or Namita Manohar
[log in to unmask]  You may also visit our website at
http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/mvoorhis/SSSUF/conf.htm.

This conference is free and open to the public.  Refreshments from Jimmy
Johns will also be served.

We hope to see you there!

8:30am. – 9am.
Keynote Address By Dr. Zeynep Copur, Visiting Professor
Hacettepe University, Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, Ankara,
Turkey
“Examining the Relationship Between Parents’ Gender Roles and
Responsibilities Towards Their Children (A Turkish Example)”

9:15am. -10:30am.
Session #1: Constructing Racial & Ethnic Identity
Session #2:  Race-Gender Intersections: A Transnational Perspective

10:35am. -11:50am.
Session #3:  Health & Wellbeing
Session #4:  Mapping Movements: Immigration & Migration Experiences

1:00pm. – 1:45pm.
Non-Governmental Organization Fair and Poster Session

1:50pm. - 3:05pm.
Session #5: Talking Back: Resisting Domination
Session #6: Media & Social Reality

3:10pm. - 4:25pm.
Session #7: Sex, Love & Rock ‘n Roll: Doing Gender, Sexualities and Families

Telisha S. Martin
McKnight Fellow
Department of Sociology
University of Florida