Socnet, Happy New Year!

My two cents on SNA, heterogeneity and ANT (I'm just reading Bruno's last
book these days.. :-)

Emanuela, concerning heterogeneity, the right place to look for it in SNA
is on 2-mode (or in general n-mode) networks. Among the methods used in
such studies, one encounters: Galois lattices (and other discrete data
analyses) (cf., Freeman, D. White, Schweizer, Mohr, Duquenne, Roth,
Pattison, Robins, Mische et al.), correspondence analysis (Faust,
Skvoretz, Roberts et al.), affiliation networks and blockmodeling
(Breiger, Borgatti, Everett and many others), generalized blockmodeling
(Doreian, Batagelj, Ferligoj) etc.

ANT is quite different than SNA in many respects. (Have people in this
list ever heard about ANT?) It's funny but Bruno Latour believes quite
the opposite to what Barry Wellman considers about SNA (and more or less I
agree with Barry - but I was wondering, Barry, is this the Toronto-Paris
anti-link? :-) Latour stresses that ANT is a method or a tool and it
is different from a network in the same way that drawing with a pencil is
not the same thing as drawing the shape of a pencil.. In any case, until
now, I haven't seen any analytical or formal work in ANT and this is
normal because of its interpretive priorities. But even in this respect,
it's hard to compare, say, Harrison White and Eric Leifer with
Bruno Latour and John Law. Sometimes, reading the most provocative
manifestos of the field, I have the feeling that ANT deliberately confuses
contextualism with relationism and constructivist anti-essentialism with
structural anti-individualism. But I'm not sure, I might have
misunderstood their arguments.

Regards,

--Moses Boudourides

  Department of Mathematics