Dear Michael Johnston,

The current wisdom that I've been able to obtain from other Socnet members
is that, unless the correspondence is clearly of "general" interest to
everyone (how is this possibly determined?), the person who made the
original query (in this case--regarding data collection instruments--me)
should share responses ONLY with parties (like you) explicitly expressing a
desire to see those responses.

My observation is that this puts the onus on the original querier to
(sometimes laboriously) go back and collect the relevant e-mails (and
attachments)--from the flood of Socnet e-mails that sometimes pour in--and
"bundle them" and send them on to interested parties. (And, knowing fallible
human nature, I would STRONGLY suspect that some Socnet users simply never
abide by these courtesy rules.)

I would think that a listserv would/should function in a more open, easy,
"automatic," "democratic" manner? (But I'm not an expert on listserv rules.)

Does Socnet have an official, stated policy about this?  I didn't see one at
the INSNA Web site.

***NOTE: By comparison, the UCINET listserv has an explicit rule stating,
"Please note that the norm of the list is to send all responses back to the
list so that everyone can see and learn from them."

I hope I don't sound like I'm carping or complaining! This isn't my purpose.
I want to play by the rules. On the other hand, "rules" sometimes need to be
discussed and made explicit or even changed.

Regards,
Michael Reed