Socnet:

My vote would be that we simply don't exchange "off-list" e-mails (unless a
brand-new, separate collegial relationship is in the offing).

If we all belong to Socnet, all of our exchanges should be open to the
entire group. This means (at least with Hotmail), always responding to an
e-mail by clicking the button "All Mail." Or, if a Socnet member writes to
me 1-on-1 (externally to Socnet, which I would discourage), my response
would have to have me enter the "Socnet listserv" into the return address.

The Socnet listserv looks fabulously rich and useful, but its usefulness (to
me) is diminished if I have to labor over the process of deciding who I am
responding to or writing to. I just want the entire Socnet listserv to
always be the entity that I am corresponding with.

I say Ucinet has it right: Their rule is that ALL e-mail exchanges should
involve the entire listserv. That's clear and simple.

Michael Reed