This reminds me of Wm. Proxmire's Golden Fleece Awards.
What I find troubling is the deception and wasting of Prof. Watts' time.
--Larry

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Richard Rothenberg wrote:

> Something omitted from this discussion is what Sybil was actually
> ridiculing.  Here's her main slash:
>
> "They spent three years or so building and running fiendish computer
> algorithms that could analyse who had e-mailed whom and how often.  The
> stunning conclusion? Two people are more likely to strike up a
> relationship if they go to the same college class or have a friend in
> common.  Brilliant, I think. Genius. It took years sorting though
> countless messages to work that out?"
>
> Long ago and far away, when in college, I found that I was more likely
> to strike up a relationship with someone I was in class with, or with
> whom we had a friend in common.  Now, after the WWW, email, bluetooth,
> wifi, and all the other technologic advances, I think it's kind of
> interesting that this may still be true.  I'm certainly out of my depth
> here, but I would venture to say that whether these modern methods of
> communication and interaction have made a fundamental difference in the
> way human being relate to each other is an interesting sociological
> question.  (There's certainly been writing on both sides; some say Linux
> couldn't have happened without the new technology.)  But whatever the
> answer, Sybil missed the question.  I'm not sure the authors were
> focused on this question in particular, but they were certainly delving
> into the story.
>
> In any event, the analogy with The Daily Show may be misplaced, because
> those folks have an unerring ear for inanity.  As Prof Watts reports,
> Sybil has ear wax.
>
> Rich Rothenberg
>

> David Gibson wrote:

> > Socnetters -- this is a truly outrageous situation. In the very least
> > beware of Helen Pearson.

Lawrence E. Raffalovich
Associate Professor

Department of Sociology               e-mail: [log in to unmask]
University at Albany
State University of New York          Voice: (518) 442-4456
1400 Washington Ave.                  Fax:   (518) 442-4936
Albany, NY 12222