Rebecca Adams has pointed me to a story in the New Scientist that claims
the average person sends out 68 Xmas cards which reach 154 family members.
URL is:
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/christmas/mg18024265.900

Warning: Data from a very biased, small sample, and a self-interested
scholar . But it would be nice for some INSNA person to organize data
gathering on this for next year -- taking some care to collect such data
-- even the hoary university student samples would be an improvement.

I am NOT offering to organize, but would participate, especially if
Chanukkah and New Year cards were included, and care were taken to
separate out traditional greeting cards, e-cards (only got 1 this year --
from Japan) and Xmas/New Year's letters, both e-mail and print.

 Barry