All:
How about this:  If one gets 3 or more off-list responses, then the
person asking the question (the querier??) makes a summary and posts
that summary to the entire list?
- Tom

Michael Reed wrote:

> Dear Michael Johnston,
>
> The current wisdom that I've been able to obtain from other Socnet
> members is that, unless the correspondence is clearly of "general"
> interest to everyone (how is this possibly determined?), the person
> who made the original query (in this case--regarding data collection
> instruments--me) should share responses ONLY with parties (like you)
> explicitly expressing a desire to see those responses.
>
> My observation is that this puts the onus on the original querier to
> (sometimes laboriously) go back and collect the relevant e-mails (and
> attachments)--from the flood of Socnet e-mails that sometimes pour
> in--and "bundle them" and send them on to interested parties. (And,
> knowing fallible human nature, I would STRONGLY suspect that some
> Socnet users simply never abide by these courtesy rules.)
>
> I would think that a listserv would/should function in a more open,
> easy, "automatic," "democratic" manner? (But I'm not an expert on
> listserv rules.)
>
> Does Socnet have an official, stated policy about this?  I didn't see
> one at the INSNA Web site.
>
> ***NOTE: By comparison, the UCINET listserv has an explicit rule
> stating, "Please note that the norm of the list is to send all
>
> I hope I don't sound like I'm carping or complaining! This isn't my
> purpose. I want to play by the rules. On the other hand, "rules"
> sometimes need to be discussed and made explicit or even changed.
>
> Regards,
> Michael Reed
>

>> From: "Michael Johnston" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: "'Michael Reed'" <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: RE: data collection instruments?
>> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:36:57 -0800
>>
>> Hi, Michael,
>>
>> I'm also very interested, would you be willing to post the responses to
>> the listserv as a whole?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Michael

To learn more about my evaluation book go to:
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html
My personal webpage:
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/
---