Paul:
We have 1,050 from 6 schools and 54 classes.  We correlated the number
of friendship choices recieved (simple in degree count) between T1 and
T2 1 year apart.  The question asked, "name your 5 closest friends in
this classroom."  The correlation was 0.3172.  There are all kinds of
issues including class size, the variation in correlations between
classes, different students in the classes at each time period, etc.
But that is the correlation.
- Tom

Paul von Hippel wrote:

> I am revising a paper on imputation of skewed variables. This is not a
> network paper, but an example using network data would be very
> appropriate.
>
> In particular, I'm seeking data with (at least) two repeated measures
> of popularity. A friendship network, say. At time one, each respondent
> in a group lists his or her friends, perhaps using a list, perhaps
> distinguishing among close friends, friends, and acquaintances. The
> people who get named the most are the most popular (highest indegree,
> perhaps with greater weight given to stronger ties). At time 2, the
> process is repeated. The correlation between time 1 and time 2
> popularity scores is an index of stability.
>
> What I like about this example is that popularity is (likely) very
> skewed, and the correlation between waves 1 and 2 is (likely) very
> strong. Also, there are likely to be missing values if (say) some
> people leave or join the group between waves, or if people are
> inadvertently left off the list of possible nominations. So it's
> exactly what I need for my paper: high skew, high correlation, and
> missing values that need imputing. (I realize there may be unique
> issues in imputing network data, but those are really beyond the scope
> of my paper.)
>
> The Add Health data follows this format, but it's a bit of trouble to
> access and transform into the necessary form. Since I just need a
> simple example for a statistics paper, I'm seeking data sets that are
> smaller and ready to go. If one of you has something to share, I'd be
> grateful to hear about it.
>
> Many thanks and best wishes --
> Paul von Hippel
>
> Paul von Hippel
> Department of Sociology / Initiative in Population Research
> Ohio State University
> 300 Bricker Hall
> 190 N. Oval Mall
> Columbus OH 43210
> 614 688-3768
> Office hours TThF 3-5pm
> I read email every weekday at 3.

To learn more about my evaluation book go to:
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html
My personal webpage:
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/
---