All:
We also found that people did a poor job of estimating their friends'
self reports of their contraceptive use, but perceiving their friends'
use whether accurate or inaccurate was strongly associated with use.
Valente, T.W., Watkins, S., Jato, M.N., Van der Straten, A., & Tsitsol,
L.M.  (1997). Social network associations with contraceptive use among
Cameroonian women in voluntary associations.  Social Science and
Medicine, 45, 677-687.

-Tom

Johnson, Jeffrey C wrote:

>This question about the relationship between behavior and people's
>reports of behavior was debated heavily in the late 70's and throughout
>the 80's.  For a review of this work (Bernard, Killworth, Sailer,
>Freeman and Freeman, Romney, Faust, Weller etc.) see:
>
> J.C. Johnson. "Anthropological Contributions to the Study of Social
>Networks: A Review." In (S. Wasserman and J. Galaskiowicz, eds.)
>Advances in Social Network Analysis: Research in the Social and
>Behavioral Sciences. Sage: Newbury Park. 1994.
>
>And
>
> J.C. Johnson and M.K. Orbach. "Perceiving the Political Landscape: Ego
>Biases in Cognitive Political Networks". Social Networks 24 (2002)
>291-310.

To learn more about my evaluation book go to:
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html
My personal webpage:
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/
---