I think the name social network ANALYSIS is unfortunate. It helps focus
attention on the methodology, which is already salient because it is so
powerful but also so daunting to learn.

To my mind, network research constitutes a whole field of scientific
inquiry. It is distinguished first and foremost by the subject matter --
what we study -- which is networks. Thus, its data and therefore data
collection methods are unique. And with the dyadic data come distinctive
analytical methodologies, complete with concepts (e.g., paths) and measures
(e.g., centrality, density) and statistical models (e.g., ergm models), etc.
And finally, there is theory. Highly distinctive theory that matches the
distinctive phenomena being studied, and becomes a lens for understanding
many things. It is my contention that at least in organizational theory,
every major theoretical perspective today is fundamentally relational, a
huge shift from the individualist, actor attribute-based explanations that
dominated 50 years ago.

Steve.

Steve Borgatti
Professor & Chair, Organization Studies Dept.
Boston College
Tel: +1 978 456 7356; Fax: +1 978 456 7373
E-mail: [log in to unmask]