Folks:

It is often amazing how much marketing firms and industry analysts know
about such things.  A quick look around the net turned up at least four
firms that would be happy to supply such data in available reports for
as little as $4000.  The only free thing I came across (and it was a
cursory look) was at
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m4021/is_1999_Nov/ai_58293774
and a brief writeup said that 2.6  billion Christmas cards are sold
annually, about 38 per sender, and that about 80% of cards are purchased
by "middle aged" women...
Anyway, there is a boatload of information about numbers out there.

Rich

Barry Wellman wrote:

>Rebecca Adams has pointed me to a story in the New Scientist that claims
>the average person sends out 68 Xmas cards which reach 154 family members.
>URL is:
>http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/christmas/mg18024265.900
>
>Warning: Data from a very biased, small sample, and a self-interested
>scholar . But it would be nice for some INSNA person to organize data
>gathering on this for next year -- taking some care to collect such data
>-- even the hoary university student samples would be an improvement.
>
>I am NOT offering to organize, but would participate, especially if
>Chanukkah and New Year cards were included, and care were taken to
>separate out traditional greeting cards, e-cards (only got 1 this year --
>from Japan) and Xmas/New Year's letters, both e-mail and print.
>
> Barry
>
>  Barry Wellman         Professor of Sociology        NetLab Director
>  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
>
>  Centre for Urban & Community Studies          University of Toronto
>  455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8    fax:+1-416-978-7162
>	     To network is to live; to live is to network

Richard Rothenberg, MD
Professor, Department of Medicine
Division of Infectious Disease
Emory University School of Medicine