I also agree.  I am on some lists where the policy is to reply to the
sender only, and others
where the policy is to respond to the list.  The latter seems much more
useful.  If people use
sensible subject lines, it is easy to delete things one is not
interested in.

The problem with 'respond to the querier and have them summarize' is
that
a) The querirer may not do it and
b) If he/she does, what he/she thinks is most important may not be what
you think is most important.

Also, it is interesting and informative to read the discussions; it's a
great way to learn.

All that's just my opinion, of course

Peter

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
National Development and Research Institutes
71 W. 23rd St
http://cduhr.ndri.org
www.peterflom.com
New York, NY 10010