A few comments as listmaster.

1. No detailed written policy exists. Instead, we have been relying on a
kind of emergent "acquiescence" ("consensus" seemed too strong) to specify
norms. We can discuss at the upcoming INSNA business meeting whether there
should be a detailed formal policy and what it should say. Personally, I'd
prefer a statement of general principles to specific dos and don'ts, and,
regardless of how formal and specific our rules are, and I'd really like it
if people were gentle and tolerant when reacting to perceived violations of
the code.

2. I do think it is a nice service when someone says "I'll take responses
off the air and will compile and send the compilation back to the list".
This works well for things like lists of references. Note that it is not
great for matters of opinion, where you want a give-and-take dialogue. Also,
it is important to state in advance that private responses will be made
public -- you don't want to "out" a response that was intended to be
private.

3. Specific cases (like No. 2 above) aside, if someone asks an interesting
question or posts on opinion on the listserv that you want to respond to, I
think you should feel free to respond in like fashion -- on the list.

Steve.

Steve Borgatti
Professor & Chair, Organization Studies Dept.
Boston College
Tel: +1 978 456 7356; Fax: +1 978 456 7373
E-mail: [log in to unmask]