Something omitted from this discussion is what Sybil was actually
ridiculing.  Here's her main slash:

"They spent three years or so building and running fiendish computer
algorithms that could analyse who had e-mailed whom and how often.  The
stunning conclusion? Two people are more likely to strike up a
relationship if they go to the same college class or have a friend in
common.  Brilliant, I think. Genius. It took years sorting though
countless messages to work that out?"

Long ago and far away, when in college, I found that I was more likely
to strike up a relationship with someone I was in class with, or with
whom we had a friend in common.  Now, after the WWW, email, bluetooth,
wifi, and all the other technologic advances, I think it's kind of
interesting that this may still be true.  I'm certainly out of my depth
here, but I would venture to say that whether these modern methods of
communication and interaction have made a fundamental difference in the
way human being relate to each other is an interesting sociological
question.  (There's certainly been writing on both sides; some say Linux
couldn't have happened without the new technology.)  But whatever the
answer, Sybil missed the question.  I'm not sure the authors were
focused on this question in particular, but they were certainly delving
into the story.

In any event, the analogy with The Daily Show may be misplaced, because
those folks have an unerring ear for inanity.  As Prof Watts reports,
Sybil has ear wax.

Rich Rothenberg

--
Richard Rothenberg, MD