This article may appeal to CS students... may be a good cross-over
article... "The Social Life of Routers"

PDF: http://www.orgnet.com/SocialLifeOfRouters.pdf
HTML: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/759/ipj_3-4/ipj_3-4_routers.html

BTW, the "average path length" mentioned in the paper is *weighted*,
not a simple average.

Also, SOCNET members Ed Vielmetti and Guy Hagen contributed to my
understanding of IP [internet protocol] networks and it was Ed's
closing of a triangle[Baker's Union Strategy] that got the paper
published.  Thanks guys.

Valdis