On 25 Jan 2006, at 14:39, Andrew Cleary wrote:

> It is my suggestion to be pretty skeptical of the ability of these
> types of programs, not because the *will* isn't there (it is,
> though I sure wish it wasn't), but because these are very difficult
> technical problems to pull off. Having access to a lot of data
> doesn't wash away the problems of telling the useful data from
> noise. Just because someone hangs a scary government three-letter-
> acronym outside their door doesn't mean they have magic bullets
> that give them solutions to longstanding, very difficult problems,
> and the incentive structures in place in government labs are not
> very good ones for encouraging innovative solutions to problems
> that the rest of the world hasn't solved. For example, they say
> below that the government's systems "connect the dots", but
> frankly, those "dots" are subject to the same problems of
> canonicalization, the need for ontologies to apply *semantics* to
> that data, data trustworthiness and cleansing, natural language
> processing, inference in small and noisy datasetc, etc., etc., that
> very small data mining projects have, but at a *much* larger scale,
> and *all* of those issues need to be solved for the whole system to
> really start making sense out of anything.
>
> IOW: it would be my estimate that these kinds of programs are much
> more bark than bite.

Andy:

You are, of course, correct in stating that there are a lot of
problems to be solved here.  However, in my opinion, there are
nevertheless reasons to be concerned about "these types of programs".

(1) NSA (and other "scary government three-letter-acronym"
agencies :) ) employ a lot of very smart people that have access to
large amounts of resources, are aware of these problems (it's
probably safe to say that they read this list, for one thing), and
have been working with large data sets for some time.  I don't
necessarily assume that they have secret methods that blow the doors
off anything known to the academic or industrial world, but I would
not underestimate the amount of effort that they're willing to put
into addressing these problems.  Also, of course, it's worth
mentioning that even if you're right about their attitude towards
innovation, they have all the public research in this area to draw on.

(2) That said, the potential for misuse--whether politically
motivated or not--of such programs is immense.  Ironically, one of
the most likely scenarios, in my opinion, for misuse is one in which
the models don't work very well, but are used anyway...and end up
connecting all sorts of dots that should not be connected.  I suspect
that we've actually been seeing evidence of this already.

Joshua O'Madadhain

> Cheers,
> Andy, formerly of DOE research labs...
>
> Dr Andrew J Cleary
> Director of Algorithms R&D
> Visible Path Corporation

Joshua O'Madadhain: Information Scientist, Musician, and Philosopher-
At-Tall
   It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill
Watterson
   My opinions are too rational and insightful to be those of any
organization.