Both of these are old, but they are the most authoritative.

Lazarsfeld, Paul F. 1959. "Latent Structure Analysis." Pp. 476-543 in
Psychology: A Study of a Science, vol. 3. Formulations of the person and
the social context, edited by S. Koch. New York, Toronto, London:
McGraw-Hill.

Henry, Neil W. and Paul F. Lazarsfeld. 1968. Latent Structure Analysis.
Boston: Houghton Mifflin.

Rodrigo Araya D. wrote:

>Hello socnet,
>
>Somebody has a specific reference for Lazarsfeld and the concept of
>"Latency" that Loet Leydesdorff mentioned ?
>
>I´m a graduate student in Spain-Barcelona working around that concept.
>(latent contacts-relations). I´ll be gratefull if someone gives to me a
>clue. Thanks in advance. Great discussion these days, specially for the
>newbies
>
>Rodrigo Araya D.
>
>Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona
>Research Group: http://www.egoredes.net
>Revista REDES: http://revista-redes.rediris.es
>

>>*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>>
>>Dear Moses:
>>
>>SNA and ANT, in my opinion, have in common that both stress relations and
>>graphs, while we know since Burt (1982)--and some of us even before that
>>date--that non-relations are very important for the development of
>>(eigen-)structure. (I know that one explore an eigenstructure using
>>UCINET,
>>but it is easier and with more options using SPSS.)
>>
>>Furthermore, both types of analysis are more focused on taking snapshots
>>than on theorizing the (non-linear) dynamics. ANT does the latter because
>>of
>>its focus on action and change, but the relationship with the pictures is
>>not easy because of the emphasis on relations in the latter. SNA catches
>>dynamics (e.g., preferential attachments) insofar as they can be made
>>visible as a sediment in the data (e.g., a negative power law).
>>
>>In other words, concepts like "latency" (Lazarsfeld) and the virtual
>>character of structure (Giddens) are not fully theorized in these
>>methodologies. As you know, I think that self-organization theory
>>(Maturana,
>>Luhmann) can help us further because a model for how a complex
>>dynamics--composed of several subdynamics--evolves, is proposed. It is
>>sometimes easier to connect this model with simulation studies than with
>>empirical traditions like SNA and ANT, but visualizations remain most
>>useful
>>for communication of the understanding.
>>
>>With best wishes for 2006,
>>

>>Loet
>>
>>________________________________
>>
>>Loet Leydesdorff
>>Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR)
>>Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
>>Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
>>[log in to unmask] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Charles Kadushin
Distinguished Scholar, Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies
Visiting Research Professor Sociology
Brandeis University

Voice: 212-865-4369
FAX:   646-383-8505