Dear Rodrigo,

I never read it myself, but the classical reference is:

Lazarsfeld, P. F., & N. W. Henry. (1968). Latent Structure Analysis. New
York: Houghton Mifflin.

It may be helpful to read an introductory test about factor analysis (in
SPSS). For the relation with the analysis of "structural equivalence", see:

Burt, R. S. (1982). Toward a Structural Theory of Action. New York, etc.:
Academic Press.

In a completely different context, I recently wrote an introduction into the
differences between principle component analysis (PCA) and (rotated)
factor-analytical models in:

Can Scientific Journals be Classified in terms of Aggregated Journal-Journal
Citation Relations using the Journal Citation Reports? Journal of the
American Society for Information Science and Technology (forthcoming).

This text is available from my website. This text is relevant if you are
interested in the differences which are offered by options in SPSS.

With best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
[log in to unmask] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/