Dear All,
We are two students at Politecnico di Milano (Italy), working on our master
thesis. We want to map conversation threads (specifically from forums
residing in the intranet of the company we're studying) in order to
visualize communication flows and run analysis on them. We know it's
something that has been done many times before but we can't find a way to
operationalize the very first steps in this process: how to create a
communication matrix from the forum istself. For instance: how to code the
message that starts a thread? As a communication of the one-to-all type?
and
what about a reply to a message? is this considered a message from the
poster to the thread initiator, from the poster to all other posters in the
same thread or from the poster to everybody?
All papers we've read so far skip on the details of this coding process.
Can
you give us any practical hint or references (books, articles, website...)
about it? We'd really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!!

Milena Barassi
Antonella Cascio