I'd also be suspect about the estimates of # of total
cards sent by measuring the number of cards sold
by Hallmark et al.  More often than not I get letters
and photos from people or self-made cards but not
preprinted stuff from the rack.

(and sorry to all my friends this year who did not
get holiday cards!)

thanks

Ed

On 1/3/06, Blyden B. Potts <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Interesting, but IMO assuming that people made a concerted effort to send
> Christmas cards to their full network of contacts would not be a strong
> assumption to make for most Americans. I would imagine that an estimate
> based on holiday cards would be only a fraction of the "full network". But
> perhaps Christmas cards are a much stronger cultural practice among the
> British?
>
> Blyden
>

> Valdis wrote:
> Here is the on-line PDF...
>
> http://www.liv.ac.uk/evolpsyc/Hill_Dunbar_networks.pdf
>

> On Jan 2, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Lynn Smith-Lovin wrote:
>
> > Hill, R.A. and R.I.M. Dunbar. 2003. "Social network size in
> > humans." Human Nature 14:53-72.

Edward Vielmetti in Ann Arbor, MI 48104
+1 734 276 5910

http://www.vacuumgroup.com