Dear Socnetters,

I am a PhD Student working on a study on Social Networks in 19th century
Northwestern Germany. I have data about kinship, godparents, neighbours,
credit, and land transactions for two villages. These data are stored in MS
Access databases. Now I want to look at marriage structures and alliances, and
I would like to analyze the data as P-Graphs with Pajek.
My problem is that I can’t get my family reconstitution data as P-Graph into
Pajek. Pajek accepts data in GEDCOM format and transforms it into a P-Graph,
but I don’t have data in that format. My data is organized in main and linkage
tables in a relational database: one main table containing data on persons
(names, dates, etc. and one ID for each person), another main table for
families (date, place, one ID for each marriage). These data are connected by
two linkage tables: one for spouses and the other for children. A data record
in a linkage table contains one person ID and one family ID.
I tried to configure the data with Access queries and exported them via
reports and a text editor, but I was not able to get Pajek to import line
labels (= names of persons).
So I have two questions: Is there any possibility that Pajek creates a
P-Graph, although I don’t have GEDCOM-data? Or is there a way to enter names
as line labels, so can try to build a P-Graph in Access?

Thanks in advance,

Christine

--
Christine Fertig, Institut für Wirtschafts- und Sozialgeschichte, Robert-Koch-
Str. 29, 48149 Münster.