... and for those of us from the US, remember the Proxmire awards....?
I understand Dr. Watts reaction, but the truth is any recognition is better than none!

Besides Nature is not "all that" anymore anyway. Like everybody else they have become focused on money and attracting readership as much as scholarship these days. While many of their articles are cutting edge science, more and more some are just silly. Earlier on this list I mentioned that Nature published an article (by some epidemeologist) using linear regression on Olympic running times to show that woman will outpace men eventually. Extend the regression a bit further and we will all be outpacing cars in just a blink! Now that was a "waste of time" publication!

________________________________

From: Social Networks Discussion Forum on behalf of "Jochen Möbert"
Sent: Fri 1/13/2006 4:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Nature's fake news]

Hi,

I propose to collect stories about research topics which are thought to be
"pointless" first. While after some decades everyone was convinced that this
topic was an important breakthrough.

1) Sir  Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, who won the Nobel Prize for Physics in
1983. He proposes the black hole theory and the evolution of stars.
2) Barry J. Marshall and Robin Warren, who won the Nobel Prize in Medicine
in 2005 for their discovery of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori and its
role in gastritis and peptic ulcer disease.

Best regards
Jochen Moebert

PS: Yesterday, I read that plants produce Methan while standard text books
in biology exclude this possibility.