Michael, Steve, Don (and others):

Regarding the difficulty of directly observing networks, you may be
interested in related research on classroom-based adolescent peer
groups.  The late Robert Cairns, a developmental psychologist,
conducted observational research (including numerous animal behavior
studies) and was well aware of the the value, difficulties and
limitations of such data. In the early 1980's he developed a "social
cognitive map" method (similar to Krackhardt's CSS method) in which
each child in the network (typically a classroom) is asked: "Are
there any kids in your (grade/class) who hang around together a
lot?"  Each child identifies as many groups as he/she can, including
groups in which he/she participates. (Unlike the CSS method, children
are not required to classify all peers into a group.) Data are
summarized in a (valued) multi-informant matrix in which each cell
represents the number of times two individuals are named to the same
group. Cairns used a fairly simple algorithm to extract groups from
this matrix: he did not use formal SNA tools, but his approach is
conceptually very similar to structural equivalence methods.

Cairns conducted two studies in which he validated groups derived
from the multi-informant matrix against direct observations of
classroom interactions. In a pilot study (Cairns, Perrin & Cairns,
1985), he found that 7th graders interacted with members of their SCM-
identified groups at rates 3 to 4 times higher than with other same-
sex peers. In a much more extensive study of 78 adolescents spread
across dozens of classrooms (each of whom was observed for several
hours across multiple days), virtually the same relative interaction
rates were obtained (i.e., 3-4x higher). More generally, for each
adolescent we constructed an "interaction profile" (a vector of
observed interaction rates with classmates) and a "co-nomination
profile" (a vector summarizing number of times nominated with each
classmate):  the median correlation between these profiles was r = .
55.  I had the good fortune to work in Cairns' lab and recently
published the latter results with several of his long-term
collaborators (Gest, Farmer, Cairns & Xie, 2003). In other words, we
find that the aggregated reports of members of a network can provide
a reasonably valid estimate of "observable" behavior in the network.
Given that observations were only conducted during classroom
instructional time and therefore failed to capture behavior in other
potentially relevant settings (e.g., bathrooms, hallways, buses,
playgrounds), I think one could make the argument that the aggregated
peer reports are more likely to reflect actual behavior than any
feasible observation system. At any rate, we find some comfort in the
fact that the peer report procedure has some demonstrable link to
directly observed behavior patterns.

Regarding biases in ego reports, a few researchers using Cairns'
method have examined the correspondence of ego-reports to the groups
derived from the multi-informant matrix (Leung, 1996). The general
finding is that ego reports (at least among children in the 4th to
7th grade range, ages 10 to 13) are reasonably accurate but are
subject to self-enhancement biases. These biases mainly take the form
of "errors of omission" in which ego omits relatively low-status
network members from self-reports; falsely including higher-status
peers is less common.  These biases are more evident when ego himself/
herself is relatively low-status in the network.

Like Krackhardt, we find large individual differences in the
completeness and accuracy of children's perceptions of the classroom
social network. A graduate student in my lab (Alice Davidson) is
beginning to use SNA methods to explore whether the correlates of
these individual differences may be similar to those proposed by
Krackhardt (e.g., do individuals with greater centrality provide more
complete/accurate reports?). We are newcomers to SNA but are
optimistic that theories and concepts may be quite useful in thinking
about children's peer group dynamics and the correlates of varyng
perspectives on the network.

best regards,
Scott