All:

While others were undoubtedly participating in the Rich Paul New
Year's Day Open at Ft. De Soto, Arthur Wilson & I were hitting some
of Collier County's birding hot spots doing a Collier County Century
Run. For those of you who may not know what a Century Run is, it is a
term I made-up several years ago when the Naples Bird Club was
extant. Members would try to see 100+ species of ABA-countable birds
entirely in Collier County during daylight hours in one day, thus, a
"century" run/attempt. No, we didn't start at 2:00AM and end at
midnight like certain other Big Listers and yes, we had fun and saw
some great birds for Collier County despite its ever-dwindling
habitats. Anyway, today, I'm pleased to say that Arthur and I
completed our Century Run -- barely! Art had 100 birds exactly and I
had 102. Neither of us counted the Great White Heron we found in a
seasonal wetland just before entering the town of Immokalee on CR846.

Locales visited included Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary; areas east of
Immokalee on CR846; extreme eastern Collier County near the Hendry
County Correctional Facility (CR858); Tigertail Beach & Mackle Park
on Marco island; Sugden Regional Park Naples & the North Naples Waste
Water Treatment Plant in North Naples.

We had a few surprises plus several misses as well as the usual
expecteds. In the first category, I would have to say that the Black
Skimmer found in an agricultural  drainage canal at the intersection
of CR858 & Camp Keais Rd in extreme eastern Collier County was
definitely unexpected. I know that Black Skimmers are sometimes found
around inland lakes in central and south Florida, especially in
winter, but on a drainage canal miles away from the nearest large
body of water (Lake Okeechobee)?? I estimate that this location is
25-30 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico and probably that many or
more miles southwest of Lake Okeechobee. This is very strange in my
book and a first for me. BTW, Art took photos of this bird in this
habitat so if anyone is interested, let me know. . .

We also had a pair of Solitary Sandpipers at the Immokalee Ranch on
CR846 east of the town itself. In previous years, the small cow pond
on the north side of CR846 on this ranch had at least one wintering
Solitary Sandpiper. I've checked several times last winter and again
this winter, but up until today, I could never find any of these
birds. Today, we looked in a small wetland directly across from the
cow pond on the south side of CR846 and voila -- there they were.
Nice to see!

Other birds of note seen on today's Century Run in Collier County were:

Painted Bunting (female) -- Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary
Limpkin -- ditto
Burrowing Owl -- two birds "holding on" near the intersection of 40th
Street NE & 68th Avenue NE -- east of Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary.
Anyone have $110,000 to protect this pair from developers? That's the
asking price for the one-acre plot of land on which the BUOWs have
their burrow! Art took a great photo of the developer's or realtor's
sign with the BUOWs included which will be sent to anyone on request.
One Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, two Western Kingbirds & no Vermilion
Flycatcher along CR858 near the Hendry County Correctional Facility
on the Collier/Hendry County line.
Crested Caracara -- ditto
Magnificent Frigatebird -- five individuals near the ABC Islands/Marco.
Red Head -- three birds on lake Avalon at Sugden Regional Park in
Naples. Also seen was one Black Skimmer on the beach at Lake Avalon.
Subadult Bald Eagle as well as five species of ducks in good numbers
at the North Naples Waste water Treatment Plant.

A full list of species seen will be sent to anyone requesting it.

BTW, if anyone thinks that it is relatively easy to find 100 species
of birds in Collier County in daylight hours only, I challenge them
to go for it!

Good birding and of course, Happy New Year!

Vince Lucas
Naples