Hi all
  Had a visit to Honeymoon Island State Park on New Year's Day.  We
experienced the same fog issues that the DeSoto folks had.  There were still plenty of
birds to see.  We walked the Osprey Trail at around 11AM and were able to see
a pair of Great Horned Owls perched in the pines.  I have no idea how many
ospreys and beginning nests are out there on that trail.  It was amazing.
  Also, on Osprey Trail, where it hits the gulf, we had huge rafts of ducks.
There were several hundred (conservatively speaking) redhead ducks out there.
 We had a few horned grebes swimming around, also.  I am sure there were
other ducks mixed in with the flocks, but they were quite a distance away.  We had
small flocks of red-breasted mergansers.
  The trail had several pockets of gray catbirds, prairie & palm warblers
and, of course, yellow-rumps.
   On the way back, we had a possible broad-winged hawk in the area of
Racetrack Rd. Happy New Year to all.
  diane reed
st.augustine, fl.

First bird of the year - chipping sparrow.