Hey Everybirdy,

  Spent a quick 2 1/2 hours at the refuge this a.m.  Thanks to  Ray, a refuge
volunteer, for alerting me to both a cooperative, photogenic Sora  and the
whereabouts of a male Canvasback.  The Canvasback was located in  the "Triangle
Pond" which sits between the forks of SR 406 and SR 402.   Only visible off of
SR 402 as you head towards the visitor's center, just a  little ways past the
outlet of e. Gator Creek Road, on your left, it was  associating with a small
raft of about 150 Coots.  the Sora was near the  entrance to Blackpoint.
  Pintails and Hoodies, Blue-wings and Coots were, of course an easy  find
along the drive.  One lone Long-billed Dowitcher at stop 4. Nailed the  flight
call as a nearby Greater Yellowlegs took off and made it  nervous!
  Nice flock of American Avocets (80+) at Stop 8, and that  impoundment is
still pretty stocked with waterfowl, most being Pintails but  found a handful of
Green-winged among other RES's (reasonably expected  species)
  My heart pounded a bit between stops 9 and 10.  OUt of the  corner of my
eye, I could swear I saw what looked like a Black  Rail dart across an opening
near the edge of one of the small pools.  Got  out for a look, and flushed a
Clapper Rail in the vicinity, which definitely  didn't match the size of what I
saw a moment earlier, but I'd rather have a  better look before I check it off
on my list!
  The Peregrine Falcon was present as it's frequent perch along SR 406  just
north of the railroad tracks.
  Was 200 or so White Pelicans behind Pumphouse Rd along with about  15+ Wood
Storks.  Great Black-backed Gull appeared to be feeding on some  type of
waterfowl, my guess is a Coot.  Had a flyover GBBG on Blackpoint  too.
  Bald Eagle also present on SR 406.

  That it, in an eggshell.
  See you out there!

Thomas J. Dunkerton