Hi to all and best for 2006,
I hit the park this morning at 8 am with temps at 38 degrees and the wind
calm. Both a Great White Egret and Great Blue Heron were feeding along the banks.
A Red-shouldered Hawk flew a short distance to settle in another tree. Upon
taking the trail to the right called the Loop trail, I found a very large and
healthy While-tailed deer, a doe standing on the trail about 40 yards ahead. It
was curious and just walked into the open field to the right. Another
Red-shouldered Hawk was seen and calling. At the end of the Loop trail in a small
freshwater marsh to the left were six White Ibis and one 1st fall immature and
one Little Blue heron all feeding. This was the same spot that the Wood Storks
were located before Christmas. Over the trail bridge and up the prairie on the
right yielded goldfinches, Great Egret and another Great Blue Heron. A small
group of Turkey Vultures were overhead. No Wild Turkey or River Otter spotted
this trip. I did note fresh rutting from wild pigs along the trail for acorns.
Two Black Vultures were overhead upon leaving the park after 90 minutes.

Tom Allen
North Port, FL
Sarasota County