As soon as I saw a hawk kettling with the
vultures, I pulled directly over and jumped out.  My two other rule-outs
were Red-shouldered and Red-tailed, both of which I've seen hundreds and  feel pretty confident identifying.  This hawk was easily NOT a
Red-shouldered as it was completely white throughout its belly and most of its wings.  I got a decent look at its head and it had a brown head with white chin that continued on to the rest of the belly.  So far, it could still be a Red-tailed, though.  I know that the belly band on some Red-tailed hawks is pretty faint, but this bird didn't have the dark
shoulders, nor did it have a red tail (though I know that's variable,
too), and the tail seemed too short to fit a Red-tailed.  It did have a
white tail with a dark band.  And it had dark tips to its primaries.  It was soaring quite high up and I don't recall noticing any other bands on the tail.  Short-tailed Hawks are not very common this far north in the winter, I guess, and this was a lifer for me.

Bruce Christensen
Gainesville