Hi Leon:

Glad to hear from you.
I spent the 32 yrs at Lockheed doing a lot of things.
I worked primarily in Avionics Systems Engineering.
I got my pilot's license and was the system guy since I knew both aeronautics and electronics.
Worked on special mission aircraft and combined a knowledge of aero, avionics, weapons systems, countermeasures, sensor systems, and computers.
Primarily with black programs such as the F-117A back in the 80's.
Almost all dealing with low-observable vehicles.
It was all fun.
Did a short stint with C-5A simulators and radar simulations.
I got my W4UXJ back in 1951 when I was 14 yrs old.
I have a picture somewhere of me working W4DFU back around 1956 that, if I can find it, I will send to the club along with a little write-up of how we all went up to the top floor of the engineering building to listen to Sputnik I on October 5, 1957, (the day after the launch) using the club equipment.  I actually picked up one of the passes on 20.005 MHz. (Reference: http://history.nasa.gov/sputnik/14.html ) and heard the Doppler shift beating with WWV as it went over. (Attachment not my recording but very similar to what we heard)  What an exciting time!!

When I left in Feb 59 with my BEE I got a call from Dr. T. S. George, who asked me if I wanted one of the 4 National Defense Education Act of 1958 fellowships, and I said, heck, yes!  So I started back in Sept. of 59 and stayed until Oct. of 65 when I came up to Lockheed.  I got my PhD in Feb of 1966 after completing my dissertation long distance and getting Dr. George's approval.

Now I play with all my electronic toys (as my wife calls them) and have the problem of so many interesting things to do that I half finish one project and then get excited about another new project and jump on that.  As a result, I have many half-finished projects....
Right now, I am restoring a Central Electronics 100V transmitter.  It was designed by Joe Batchelor whom I worked with at Lockheed for about 4 or 5 yrs.  He passed away about 2 or 3 yrs ago, but he was a real genius and I was never able to stump him or ask a question that he could not answer.

I frequently go to hamfests where my eyes are always bigger than my available space at home.
Darn if I don't always find something I just can't live without :-)

Enjoyed hearing about your years.  They do pass by so quick....

73,
Marvin