Hello Sue,

You might look through Stephen Covey et. al.'s book 'First Things First'.
There's lots of wisdom in there and some exercises. In particular,
consider looking at some
of the exercises aimed at writing a personal mission statement. I
have used some of these with my students. I like the one where you
are asked to think into the future to your retirement party or some
other such event and imagine the speeches that people give and to
imagine what they say about you as a person and  what your
accomplishments are. After students write these things down, I ask
them to review what they've written, and to add any other important
values or goals. Then, they look through these and reduce it down to
about 5-7 core values. We discuss these  a bit. The idea is that if
we can reflect on and keep in the forefront a manageable number of
our most important values we can make good decisions and choices, act
with integrity, and be happy  because our actions are in alignment
with our true values.

Another activity that I do, after students do the activity above is
to imagine some concrete long-term goals. Many of these are education
and career related, but they can be more broadly defined than that,
including, living abroad, developing some skill or trait, etc. I ask
them to think of a diagram of some kind to capture the relationships
of these  goals amongst themselves and/or a "pathway" to achieving
them. That can be a flow chart, a pyramid, a sort of illustration
with an actual path and icons of their goals (and pitfalls), etc.  I
give each student a file folder to draw their diagram on that. A file
folder, unfolded, is bigger than a regular piece of paper so you can
get more on it. But more importantly, I tell them to use the folder
to collect things that will help them reach their goals. If they see
an article that relates to their career goal, or an advertisement for
a course, or bio of someone that want to emulate, a website,  or
anything else relevant to their goals, they are to put it into the
file. This gives them a place to actually put things and encourages
them to be on the look out for things related to their enduring, long
term goals. I ask students to share their goals and diagrams and
explain them to the group. I share my own goals and diagram with them
as well.

Best of luck,
Nic

>Colleagues: I need help. I am scheduled to do a presentation tomorrow,
>and the topic has just been changed, I'm looking for ideas, resources,
>suggestions, etc.
>
>I am supposed to present for an hour and a half to a group of 50
>students who will be graduating in May. The topic is about time/life
>management after college.
>
>Any suggestions? THANKS IN ADVANCE. Sue
>
>Sue Henderson
>
>Assistant Director, University College at the Polytechnic Campus
>7001 East Williams Field Road
>Academic Center Building room 80, Mail Code 0180
>Mesa, AZ  85212
>(480)727-1457 * fax (480)727-1714
>http://uc.asu.edu * http://east.asu.edu/learningcenter

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center