Chrisa,

We allow up to three no-shows and then the student is dropped from tutoring
for the duration of the semester. A no-show is any non attended appointment
with less than 24 hours advance notice. We allow up to five cancellations,
that is a no-show with 24+ hours notice, before we drop the student. Of
course we do make some exceptions as needed. If the tutor and tutee agree
to cancel and the tutor communicates this to us, we do not count that
against either tutor or student. We will also attempt to call the "missing
person" if one or the other seems to be just waiting around, as tutors and
students are often more flexible and forgiving than we are
administratively!

If the tutor shows and the student doesn't, we ask the tutor to wait for 15
minutes in case the student is running late. We will pay the tutor for 1/2
hour in this case. (We just increased this from 15 minutes of pay to 1/2
hour, as 15 minutes translated into dollars barely buys a cup of coffee on
our campus!)

BTW-We also may drop a tutor from our roster for the duration of the
semester for the same numbers of no-shows and cancellations.

We monitor both through Accutrack, supplemented by a paper "no-show"
report, that helps us determine whether it was the tutor or tutee who
didn't show up.

Roberta Schotka
NADE'08 conference co-chair
Head, Peer Tutoring
Northeastern University Libraries, 242 SL
(617) 373-2150 voice
(617) 373-2529 fax

                      "Hotchkiss,
                      Chrisa"                  To:      [log in to unmask]
                      <CHotchkiss@DOMI         cc:
                      NICAN.EDU>               Subject: no shows/last-minute cancellations
                      Sent by: Open
                      Forum for
                      Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals
                      <LRNASST-L@LISTS
                      .UFL.EDU>

                      03/24/2006 06:05
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to Open Forum
                      for Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals

Hello all. Happy Friday!

I'm wondering how you deal with students who cancel appointments with
tutors at the last minute or don't show up at all and don't call to
cancel. Do you revoke their tutoring privileges after two no-shows, for
example, do you ask students to pay the tutor, or. . .? And how do you
enforce the policy? Also, and perhaps more importantly, do you still pay
your tutors when their tutees don't show up or when they cancel at the
last minute? What kind of policies are you using?

Thanks for your help.

Chrisa Hotchkiss

Director of Learning Services

Dominican University of California