Katy,

As others have noted, Hunter Boylan's book What Works is a good source for
this discussion. It can be ordered through the National Center for
Developmental Education http://www.ncde.appstate.edu/whatworks.htm

You may also want to look at

Oudenhoven, B. (2002, Spring). Remediation at the community college:
Pressing issues, uncertain solutions. In T. H. Bers & H. D. Calhoun (Eds.),
New directions for community colleges: No. 117. Next steps for the community
college (pp. 35 - 44). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

Ignash, J. M. (1997, Winter). Who should provide postsecondary
remedial/developmental education?. In J. M. Ignash (Ed.), New directions for
community colleges: No. 100. Implementing effective policies for remedial
and developmental education (pp. 5 - 20). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

Kozeracki, C. A. (Ed.). (2005, Spring). New directions for community
colleges: No. 129. Responding to the challenges of developmental education.
San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

I don't have these handy (they are at home), but at least one of them
discusses this topic.

Alan Craig