At the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, we have also been working with
(or through?) these issues. Interestingly, more than 99% of our "adult
learners" (arbitrarily defined as 25 years of age or older) are classified
as transfer students, as any student admitted with *any* prior
post-secondary education credits are classified this way, with the exception
of PSEO. (There is internal discussion about this practice given the growing
trend of high school students picking up college credit through avenues
other than PSEO).

In working on these issues, I have found the "nontraditional" student
category useful for thinking about adult learners and students within other
classifications (like "transfer," "student-parent," etc.) that have similar
needs. Some students have spun this language in an interesting way, calling
themselves "nontrads."

A student organization similar to UW's "ENCORE" exists here ("Reentry
Students") as means for students to connect and feel validated among their
peers. An interdepartmental ad-hoc committee also exists to bring students,
staff, faculty and administrators together on these issues, resulting in
practical outcomes as well as visionary recommendations for improving our
institution in ways consistent with the larger process of Strategic
Positioning currently underway at the U of MN.

This committee created a Web site that has links to further resources that
may be of interest:
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~alsp/

Donald L Opitz, PhD
Coordinator, Math Center
University of Minnesota - General College
5 Appleby Hall
128 Pleasant Street SE
Minneapolis, MN  55455  USA
612-626-7572