Dr. Stahl:
I like your thinking on this topic.  We could all benefit from some
"other" perspectives.  Personally, I own most of these author's books
from having taught dyslexic students.  When I "moved up" to college it
seemed like these author's were less favored than my previous work
experiences.  They are very progressive and profound!
Thanks for the suggestion,
Pam Sawyer
PhD Student
Texas Woman's University
Denton, TX

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/17/06 9:54 AM >>>
For those interested in brain research that seems to be having some
interesting impact on the overall field of literacy, you might desire to
look at the work of folks such as Bennett and Sally Shaywitz, Charles
Perfetti, Kenneth Pugh, among others.  While some of the work has been
done
with problem readers, other work has been done with college freshmen.
Perfetti did a great presentation at last year's NRC conference on the
topic. Even those who do not believe that we are in a position to move
such
basic findings to the applied realm would have told you that he
presented
much to think about. He might be a viable keynote for the CRLA
conference.

Norman A. Stahl
Professor and Chair
Literacy Education