Hi Chrisa:

We permit 2 no-shows (not including the first meeting where a message or
voicemail may have gone astray, so I guess it's technically 3), and then
terminate the tutoring arrangement.  We also urge tutees to not cancel more
than 4 times (cancellations require more than 12, preferably 24, hours
notice), and then I try to have a talk with them.   Last minute
cancellations (less than 1 hour) are considered no-shows.

When a student comes in the Tutoring Center to sign up for a tutor, we
discuss with them our "Student Responsibilities for Tutoring Sessions" form
which includes all of this information and a few other points.  They are
asked to sign this form in agreement and they receive a copy and a copy goes
in their file.  We stress the no-show and cancellation policy more than any
other.  If they don't show up and we have cancel their tutoring arrangement,
and they still wish to have appointment tutoring, they have to talk with me,
and are required to pay a $10 fine.  The policy states all of this clearly.

For no-shows, we ask our tutors to wait 15-20 minutes for their tutee
(unless it was a last minute cancellation) and they are paid for 1/2 hour.
We have half-page absence forms that the tutors fill out with spaces for
them to indicate how much cancellation notice they received or if it was a
complete no-show.  These absences are tabulated on our tutoring roster and
the forms are kept in the students' files.

It's always an awkward situation; the tutees who don't show up are so often
the ones that most need the help, so I hate terminating their tutoring
arrangement.  But then again, we spent almost $300 last semester in no-show
wages.   That really hurts.

Hope this helps!

Kate

Kate Jakobson, Director