Foster:

I used to work in, and then direct, the Univ. of Wyoming Writing
Center, in which most of the consultants were full-time faculty.  Some
were/are temporary hires, while most were on extended-term contracts.
When I was there, we also had three-four undergraduate consultants,
who went through a rigorous training process--which faculty didn't
have to go through.  The training was/is really excellent and
thorough.

Maggie Garner is the current director and the person who developed
the training; you can reach her at [log in to unmask]

Cheers,
Kathy

Kathy Evertz, Ph.D.
Director, Academic Support Center
203 Scoville (B-ASC)
Carleton College
One North College St.
Northfield, MN  55057
507-646-4015

I have recently accepted the challenge to build a brand new Academic
Success Center in a growing technical college.  A new twist for me
is
the opportunity to hire adjunct faculty as tutors along with student
peer tutors.  Any suggestions as to guidelines for hiring faculty
and
also for managing a center with both faculty and peer tutors?

Thanks,

Foster Bell, Coordinator

Academic Success Center

Central Georgia Technical College