Regarding "cutting edge" information on tutoring:
I suggest you look at David Arendale's article --
Arendale, D. (2004). Pathways to persistence: A review of
postsecondary peer cooperative learning programs. In I.M. Duranczyk,
J.L. Higbee & D.B. Lundell (Eds.). Best practices for access and
retention in higher education (pp. 27-40). Minneapolis, MN: Center for
Research on Developmental Education and Urban Literacy, General
College, University of Minnesota.
He provides a hierarchy of effectiveness of various types of peer
assistance programs, which emphasizes the importance of increasing
"embeddedness" with course content.
Sally Lipsky ([log in to unmask])
Department of Developmental Studies
202 Pratt Hall