-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ramage, Travis
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 3:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Learning Center Etiquette

Dear LISTSERV members,

I have a question about learning center etiquette. We will have a brand
new "tutorial" space this fall.  We currently have a "learning lab"
consisting of 2 round tables, math tutors, writing tutors, and about 9
computers around the parameter of the room.  The developmental English
instructor and myself are developing a proposal for our new space this
fall.  Our first goal is to recommend a name change from "Learning Lab"
to "The Learning Center."  We would also like to propose some standard
policies relating to behavior in the center.  Currently students use the
space more as a social hangout, bringing in their lunch, talking about
boyfriends/girlfriends, parties, and other non-academic topics.  While I
am not against socializing and discussing a variety of topics with
fellow classmates, I have heard from several students who have been
deterred from entering the space because it was too loud, they felt
unwelcome, and didn't know who to ask for help in the space.

As we develop a proposal for the new space we are acquiring this fall, I
would like to solicit input from the LISTSERV regarding the atmosphere
you maintain in your respective centers.

PS  You should also know we do not have a director for our space.  The
new space will have offices for our two developmental math instructors
and one developmental English instructor.  These instructors will be the
only "monitors" besides the math and writing tutors.

Travis Ramage

Coordinator of Adult Student Services/

Academic Assistance Advisor

UW-Barron County

1800 College Drive

Rice Lake, WI  54868

Phone: (715) 234-8176  #5438

Fax: (715) 234-8024

E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Website: www.barron.uwc.edu <http://www.barron.uwc.edu>

browser to